Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Crafts: Halloween Candle Jars

I love Halloween. Even though I don't go all out on the decorations, I really do love the the holiday. (Maybe it's just the candy ... and having a kid suddenly gave me an unquestionable reason to go out trick or treating again.)

A few years ago, I saw this craft on Skip to my Lou. I loved the simplicity — it was something even I could do to make our house a little more festive. All you need are some small jars or glasses, votive or tea light candles, orange streamers, black construction paper, and some kind of adhesive (I used Mod Podge).

First, cut out some shapes to make faces out of black construction paper; eyes, noses, mouths (and accessories, if you are so inclined). Apply a thin layer of glue on the outside of the jars, wrap streamer paper all around, then paste the faces on.

Halloween Candle Jars by day ...
Light up some candles, drop them in, and you're done! Easy!

... Halloween Candle Jars by night!
I only have four of these made, but I plan on making some more this year. Our mantle is currently 90% empty and I think a few of these spread out would make nice non-perishable, low-cost, and out-of-reach-of-my-curious-and-rambunctious-child Halloween decorations.


3 comments:

  1. Hey there! Coming at ya from Mama Kat's.

    I used to make these every year... only difference is that I painted them orange and let the kids paint on the faces.

    I also have painted a jar all black and added glow in the dark stick on stars. When you put a tealight inside it looks like the night sky on your table or porch stoop!

    Enjoyed my visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of the black jar with glow in the dark stickers! I might have to add that to the collection this year. :)

    Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete