Thursday, September 15, 2011

I Wish Someone Told Me That ...

In the last three years and eight months, I have learned a lot about parenting, but I am FAR from being an expert in anything. In fact, I still consider myself a newbie, and believe that part of the "adventure" is that you're always learning something new or different.

This kid's got quite a set of lungs!
In the excitement of pregnancy, 99% of what I heard from others were all the happy, feel-good stories about child-rearing. Maybe some people brought up the not-so-glorious moments, and maybe I just chose not to hear them. Now, almost four years later, I wish I had listened better, because damn, I could have probably saved myself (and my child) some headaches. I wish someone had told me that being a new parent isn't going to be 100% about sweet, I WILL CHERISH EVERY DAMN SECOND kind of thing. There will be days when you have to go outside out of frustration and string a bunch of obscenities that would make a sailor blush. And you know what? That's OK. 

Of course there are wonderful moments, like snuggling up with your new baby, or the first time your baby smiles (for real, not because he just let out a satisfying fart). Everyone talks about how awesome that new baby smell is, but people don't go around telling new mothers that potty training could possibly be the worst battle she will face as a parent in the first five years. I suppose it's because people don't want to be Debbie Downers in front of pregnant women or new mothers, but in hindsight, I do wish more people gave me realistic advice and less of the lovey-dovey stuff. For one thing, I ended up with postpartum depression, so hearing people tell me how in love I was supposed to be with my newborn — when I was already having personal bonding issues — probably made me feel worse that I already was feeling.

I'm not saying that hearing "horror stories" would have made me change my mind about becoming a parent. New parents already have so much going on that feelings of inadequacy or loneliness could make overwhelming situations feel even more unmanageable. New parents should know that it's fine to feel a little nutty, and that if things get too crazy, there's always help available. Most hospitals have programs to help new moms deal with PPD, and there are places online like Meetup.com that allow you to connect with others who share similar interests and situations. A little craziness is part of the adventure that is parenting; worrying that you're the only one who feels that way is something we can all do without.


4 comments:

  1. Great post! No one ever tells you how hard it is going to be, and sometimes you just feel so inadequate because you wonder "why don't I feel what they felt"! So true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for writing such a great post and including postpartum depression. I'm sure you're helping someone who might be going through it even now (or will read it later). From my point of view, though, I sort of like the positive messages for parents. I really did hear a lot of negative and was feeling a little negative before I had my first baby. Then, when he was born I was like, wow, this is so awesome! Why didn't anyone tell me how great this was? But if I didn't have such an easy baby the first time I'm sure my feelings would be totally different. (Don't worry, I had my harder baby later). I guess that's why it's good to hear all sides and perspectives, you just don't know which baby you'll get or what parenting will be like for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know what, when I posted the above comment I was tired and had just read a bunch of posts in a row. I was rambling on and I don't think it had anything to do with your post. I think I made it sound like I disagreed with what you wrote or something. Which was not my intent. Your post was perfect and very well said. If you want to delete my comments here that would be super. Otherwise, just wanted to let you know I didn't mean to sound like I was disagreeing with you or something. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Stay-At-Home Mommy: Nothing wrong with your comment - I appreciate it! I think the important thing is that each mom has different experiences and like you said, it's good to hear all sides and perspectives. :)

    ReplyDelete